TechnoLOGY. Powered by Blogger.

Translate

Total Page Views

CATEGORY

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The GTA Spano

Spain is a country that I tend not to think of when I picture a supercar pedigree emerging, but hey even Brazil has kicked out a few sweet supercars. So when I first learned of the Spano I was skeptical. It looked great in the pictures but I was wondering if it was based on outdated designs using off the shelf technology that would produce mediocre results and cost too much. And was I wrong.

Well it’s certainly not cheap so I did get that right as the Spano is around 900k USD but if Spain and Greece keep at it that maybe a lot cheaper for Americans, but my goodness does this vehicle have some fun trinkets. First off the chassis that I thought would be built out of pot metal and seashells is actually a woven blend of carbon-fiber, titanium, and Kevlar honeycomb. So you get a space age rocket submarine chassis that’s bulletproof, sweet! Using these sexy materials makes the Spano weigh in at less than 3,000 lbs. So ok we have a pretty light vehicle but what SEAT little stupid engine did they put in it. A supercharged 8300cc V-10 engine that produces around 820 horsepower and 840 hp if you use bio-ethenol thus making it quite the heart of a Spano Spaniard. So the transmission is probably a 4-speed taken from a broken down SEAT right? No it’s a 7-speed transmission that helps push this beautiful baby to over 200 mph. Ok so the engine and chassis are sweet, what about brakes. I bet the brakes are made out of lead and cardboard. Nope, massive 380 mm carbon ceramic fade-resistant rotors mated to a pneumatic assisted ABS system to bring this Cocker Spano to a halt very quickly. So what about the interior, it is probably similar to the insides of a burro pulled cart? No it’s actually set up like a race car and has lit touch sensitive buttons that make you feel that if you press the wrong one the vehicle will then turn into a lightcycle.

The GTA Spano is a true thoroughbred supercar as it can go from 0-62 in 2.9 seconds. The top speed is not known but I do know that I would certainly drive this. Would I buy it if I had nearly a million to blow on a car, probably not due to the fact that I would be checking out a Koenigsegg and Zonda first. I do have to hand it to the Spaniards and their GTA Spano as it certainly made me shut up about supercars coming from Spain. Now I have another reason other than your beautiful women to visit your country.